My Money Free Weekend Challange
We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us
Or put another way;
Our success is dependent on our decision to choose the activities that will propel us towards our goals compared to those that will hinder us.
When I first began savings I set myself a challenge to have a money free weekend once a month. In fact I found the challenge so addictive and fun I'm still doing it twenty two years later.
Remember the media, marketers and advertises all want one thing. Our money! They do this by selling the perception that you buying what they’re selling will equal’s happiness for you.
The following is a list of activities that require no money to participate in; however they all provide the foundation to experience a higher quality of life; for you and those important to you.
$10,000 Money Saving Ideas:
- Instead of buying books join a library. Libraries today are more than books; they have DVD’s, newspapers, free internet, books of course. Free. Savings estimated $250 pa+
- Make lunch with from previous dinner and bring to work. Savings estimated $2,500 pa+
- If you live close enough to walk/run/ride to work or public transport, only use the car on weekends or alternatively car share. Savings estimated $1,000 pa+
- Ensure bank accounts, credit cards have no annual fees or ATM withdrawal fees, only withdraw from Banks ATM or affiliates so not to attract transaction fees. Savings estimated $250 pa+
- If possible choose public transport over taxi. Savings estimated $500 pa+
- Wash own car & iron clothes instead of car wash or cleaner. Savings estimated $500 pa+
- Review/shop insurance premiums annually for savings. Savings estimated $500 pa+
- Meal coupons, shows, vouchers etc... (dining out regularly). Savings estimated $2,500 pa+
- Hold off expensive purchase/gifts until sale time and/or shop at outlet or online so to minimise risk of overspending and of unnecessary compulsive purchases Savings estimated $1,000 pa+
- Buy in bulk cleaning, personal care, staple goods when on sale. Savings estimated $1,000 pa+
$10,000+ Money Making Ideas
- If you don’t mind branding your car as a moving billboard you can earn approx $5,000 pa
- In your spare time become a mystery shopper/write product reviews/research market group earn approx $2,500 annually in addition to receiving free products.
- Start a business aligned to your passion online/markets etc...It’s a great way to meet people of similar interests, make some extra cash, potential tax deductions and learn about biz.
- While it’s not a guarantee becoming more qualified in your profession. Higher earnings have research to be linked to higher qualification of approx 15%-25%+ more than unskilled roles.
- Consider ways to maximize your rental return if you have an investment property. Properties furnished white good properties can increase weekly rentals by an additional $50 pw or $2,500 pa and are deductible items for tax.
- Become an extra for movies, television, commercials and earn up to $500-$1,000 per day.
21 Free Positive Experiences & Activities Challenge
- Get creative. Write poem, a short story, a song, your memoir, blog, a diary, draw etc
- Learn a new & interesting skill. An entertaining magic trick, a new language, astronomy etc...
- Walking tour around your city, learning history and famous historical landmarks and markets
- Visit parks, forests, gardens, beach get out doors... maybe have a picnic there too.
- Exercise. Getting fit doesn’t require a gym. Go for a run, bike ride, free weights, yoga etc.
- Spring clean and sort/donate your old clothes/items. One part chore another you will feel great and de-clutter you environment.
- Maintain your stuff. Sharpen your knives, weed garden, wash vehicles and fix small things etc before they become bigger problems. Feel great and proud you take care of your things.
- Get sexy. Candles, flower petals, bath, massage with a partner...
- Sort your old photo album and label where, when and your feeling at the time.
- Try solving a crossword puzzle, Sudoku, What’s different in these two pictures? etc...
- Visit the library, an art gallery, museum in your city. Most, if not all are free entry.
- Find an inspiring interesting book at the library you would like to read and read it.
- Grow something from seed. Feel great that with your care, you are encouraging life to grow!
- Volunteer for a cause you are passionate about or offer to help out a friend or neighbor. Meet other like minded people, do something nice for someone else and feel great.
- Get your finances in order, accounts, check correct payments, receipts for tax, write a will, do some goals planning you will fill more confident and have greater peace of mind.
- Attend a free community class, or concert, a free intro offer class, or religious service.
- Play a game with family and/or friends, Sherade’s (sounds like?), hangman or a board game/card you have.
- Catch up with family or old friends for a chat, if they are far away write a letter, card or email
- Have a nap. Life can get hectic so remember to take care of yourself too, i.e. rest & recovery
- Mentor someone and be mentored by someone. We stop growing we go backwards in life.
- Schedule your life and stick to it. Allocating me time (reflection), exercise time, relationship time, career time, self development time, home chores, preparation for next day, and fun experience time. This will help you stay on track with self accountability and the small goal you achieve for yourself will build your confidence to take on bigger goals.
If you are stuck in a funk or you’re lost in a cloud of complexity feel free to contact me. Most often in life we just need someone to talk things through and to lighten our load a little. The following article may also be of help.
This post was written by Peter Horsfield, as such they are his personal views.
About Peter Horsfield
Peter Horsfield in an Authorised Representative and Investsure Holdings Pty Ltd ABN 16 050 286 630 as trustee for Horsfield Family Trust ABN 55 609 068 513 is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Infocus Securities Australia Pty Ltd ABN 47 097 797 049 AFSL and Australian Credit Licence No. 236523.
Successful people have this over their rivals; they know why, where and how to reach their goals sooner.
- Are you on track?
- How much do you need?
- How long will it take?
- What are my risks?
Because action beats intention every time!
Venue: In Person or online
Duration: 60 minutes.
Our Guarantee: If you don't experience greater clarity, confidence & certainty about your money and what to do, you wont pay us a cent.